Hamantaschen @ Jewish Filled Pocket Cookies

I know this is not something new to most blogger. However, its my first attempt and I'm glad I'm learning more & more Jewish baking this year. Its fun to join the year end baking storm. I'm really in the mood right now cause the Chinese New Year is just about one month away. I'm not sure I'm going to prepare anything for the coming celebration. Somehow, its a coincidence that my girl came home for her one week Uni break, so I'm planning to spend more time in baking this week. Hamantaschen is a very popular triangular shape pastry or cookies in the middle east and its the tradition to have it during festive season. Hamantaschen is usually filled with fruit paste or jam or ground seed paste and cheese filling which is getting much popular this days. However, I've chosen the jam.

Ingredients for pastry dough :
(A)
3 cups  all purpose flour
220gm  cold butter, chopped

(B)
2 TB  sugar
1 cup  sour cream (I used yogurt)

Method :
(1)  combine flour and butter together then mix till crumbly. form.
(2)  beat together sugar and yogurt till well cooperated then stir into flour mixture till soft dough is formed.
(3)  keep dough refrigerated for an hour or so, or till set.
(4)  divide into 2 portions, keep one portion refrigerated till it is used. Place the other portion to a floured working table then roll it flat.


(5) shape dough with a round cookie cutter then fill the center with a teaspoon of jam as desired.
(6) now, fold the filled dough into 3 corners, as shown in pictures. And then pressed to seal nicely.

Note :  for fillings ~ 3/4 cup blueberry jam & some icing sugar for dusting.

(7) finally, bake at preheated oven 185'C for about 14-15 minutes at upper level or till brown. Or you may bake at medium level for about 20-25 minutes or till brown. No egg glazing is needed.

The pastry turns out as gorgeous, crispy & aromatic.

This is a delicious pastry cookies. I love how the combination turns out to be crispy soft doughly pastry filled with sweet jam. I can wallop a few in one take. Slurpppp..... Hope you guys will love it too ! Have fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...