Deep Fried Chicken 'Kuo Rou' & Curry Sweet Potato Puff

Yes, more local food and snacks on the way. This is one of many street food of Malaysia called as curry puff. The small ones cost about RM1 for 3 pieces without any meat, RM1.00-1.50 per piece with meat. And large ones like mine cost about $2.00 per piece. Too bad, mine are not for sale! haha....

All this while only deep fried curry tuna, chicken & beef puffs available in the market but not something more to Chinese version. I mean something unsual to enjoy. So, I'm making something wild today. Are you ready for this? Here we go.

Ingredients for Pastry Puff :
Dough A
280gm all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tspn salt
50gm butter or margerine
140ml water
(combine flour, sugar and salt in a big bowl. Rub in margerine till well combined. stir in water for form a soft dough)

Dough B
180gm all purpose flour
80gm shortening
combine all ingredients and mix till to form a dough)

Method :
(1) wrap dough B into dough A, nicely sealed.
(2) roll out flat into a rectangle shape.
(3) fold dough over lap each other and again roll out flat about




Ingredients for Taro Filling :
300gm taro, cubed
1 large onion, diced
200gm chicken minced meat

Seasoning :
1/4 tspn chinese 5 spice powder
1 cube red fermented beancurd/Lam Yue
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
salt & pepper to taste
*thickening : 1/2 cup water + 1/2 tspn tapioca starch

Method :
(1) deep fry taro untill brown or totally cooked & set aside.
(2) preheat wok/pan with just enough cooking oil.
(3) stir in onion and chicken minced meat, cook over medium heat untill fragrant.
(4) add in deep fried taro and mix well. (5) stir in the seasoning and stir well.
(6) finally, add in thickening and simmer untill thickened.

Remember how I learn to make my pleating when I was little. I used to steal a little bit of my mom's homemade noodle dough to play with. Well, NO playdough available at the time! So, what else am I expecting! I'll normally watch my neighbours making their goodies from outside the window. And practised the handwork on my play dough all by myself. Cool huh! It was fun. Children's today are too busy to do such a thing. Probably, they think it's time wasting.

So, the best advice I can give to my children was "learn whatever you can when you're still young cause you'll never know what will end up in one day, the only thing is be tough whatever you're facing and be a better man"!
*
I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday event.
(pastry, snack, appertizer)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...