Sesame Glutinous Rice Ball @ Jin Dui

Oh boy, I have never thought of making my own Jin Dui at home. All the while, I thought this is a very difficult task or something. haha.... Because according to the elderly, we have to watch our words while making Jin Dui. It is forbidden to say something bad like the word "dead" or something rude when the dough is on the run. Otherwise, the dough won't rise or puff out nice & big. So, normally children are not allowed to enter the kitchen while the adults making these. I'm not sure how true it is but I made mine in perfect size. :o) And am really happy with the results.

And here's the recipes.

Ingredients for Dough:
2 cups glutinous rice flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tspn apple cider/homemade fruit cider
3/4 cup warm water

* 1/2 cup sesame seeds

Ingredients for Fillings :
2 tbsp crashed roasted peanuts
1 tbsp sugar
(combine everything & mix well)

Method :
(1) combine glutinous flour and sugar in a big bowl, mix well.
(2) stir in water & cider, mix to form a nice smooth dough.
(3) divide into 12 portion (but I think it's too big), 20 portion should be better.
(4) press dough in the centre to make a hole, fill in peanuts mixture & sealed.
(5) roll dough over water & again roll dough over the sesame seeds.
(6) then fry them in hot oil over low heat.
(7) once the dough turn light brown, try to press & flatten each dough to help them to expend.
(8) the frying process will take a little longer more than 5 mins or untill you get crispy crust. Otherwise, the crust will collapse quickly after cooled.
*
I remember my mom only buy this kind of glutinous rice ball during special occasions or festival when I was little. We were only allowed to have them after the prayers. But now, we can have it anytime we want. We can even easily buy it from the stalls.
*
I will definitely make this again. Maybe in smaller size, so that it turns out nice & round. :o) The crust is so delicious. It's crispy & chewy at the same time. I'm sure you will enjoy making this too. Have fun!
*
I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday and My Sweet & Savory @ Meatless Monday
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...